Landlord & Tenant Eviction Solicitors in Southport

Landlord & Tenant Disputes

Problems between landlords and tenants aren’t uncommon in Southport, but they can be tricky and sometimes escalate to a point where you need legal advice.

We have been advising landlords and tenants for many years and our team at Brown Turner Ross specialists are highly experienced in the best way to resolve a dispute as speedily and cost-effectively as possible. 

Landlord and tenant disputes can arise for many reasons, such as a tenant failing to pay rent, breaking terms in their tenancy agreement, or your property has suffered damage beyond reasonable wear and tear.

On the other side of the door, tenants now have more powers to act against landlords who provide sub-standard accommodation. If properties don’t meet a certain standard, tenants can take their landlord to court.

There are strict laws related to evicting tenants; landlords must be careful to ensure they act lawfully otherwise they could be taken to court for illegal eviction.

Whether you’re a landlord or a tenant; if you need legal advice then contact us now.

Check out our guide to tenant landlord agreements here.

Possession Proceedings

If your Tenant refuses to leave the property when they should, or if they owe you rent, contact us for expert assistance in achieving the best possible outcome in the shortest possible time.

You will be quoted a Fixed Fee so you can make an informed decision before commencing action.

  • Non-payment of rent

If your tenant is two months is arrears with their rent then you are entitled to commence Possession Proceedings.

A Section 8 Notice” will need to be served on the Tenant and if they don’t respond to the Notice then proceedings can begin to gain possession of your property and recover the arrears.

  • Possession at the end of an assured shorthold tenancy

If you have served a valid Section 21 Notice then, at the end of the fixed term, you are entitled to issue Possession Proceedings, and if necessary, claim for any unpaid rent.

  • Accelerated possession procedure

There is also a quicker way for you to gain possession of your property utilising the Accelerated Possession Procedure. Using this procedure you can claim possession of the property as well as seeking reimbursement of your court fees but you can’t claim for rent arrears.

With the accelerated possession procedure, there is no need for a court hearing and an Order for Possession is usually granted within 6-8 weeks.

Getting your property back

If you obtain an order for Possession but your Tenant still refuses to vacate then we will instruct Bailiffs to obtain possession of it.

We act for a wide variety of Property owners who let individual or whole portfolios of properties out and have many years’ experience of resolving the legal problems that can and do sometimes arise for them.

Commercial Disputes

Our specialised team at Brown Turner Ross can also deal with many landlord and tenant disputes relating to commercial properties which commonly include dilapidation claims, breach of covenant, commercial rent arrears and forfeiture and recovery of possession – taking your property back if the tenant fails to pay rent or breaches covenants.

We can also work with you on lease renewal, rent review and service charge disputes.

If you’re a landlord or tenant and need help from our specialist team in Southport then contact us now

Commercial Property

Our expert commercial property team can meet all of your needs whether you are buying, selling, developing or refinancing.

How our solicitors can help you:

Southport Solicitors

Tel: 0170-454 2002

Fax: 0170-454 3144

11 St George's Place

Lord Street



Liverpool Solicitors

Tel: 0151-236 2233

Fax: 0170-454 3144

The Cotton Exchange Building

Bixteth Street


L3 9LQ